Monday, April 30, 2018

Kiersten Joy Party-Panda

Kiersten decided to have a sleepover with just a couple of friends for her birthday party this year. She wanted a panda birthday cake, as that is her favorite animal, and she has never gotten over the fact that Kara had panda cupcakes at her birthday party a few years back. So I struggled through making this panda cake that seemed so easy in my head. I hated the way it turned out and was actually texting Ben the day of the party to see if he would get something from a bakery instead, but that was unrealistic, so I resisted the urge to throw the whole thing in the trash. When Keirsten saw it, she didn't notice the crooked ears, or off-center eye placement. She was just excited that it looked like a panda. Her friends didn't seem to mind either, so I was glad I didn't throw it away. 10 year olds don't care about a few crumbs on the white frosting, it seems. 
I picked up the girls and took them to see A Wrinkle In Time. I remember loving that book as a kid, but the movie was not my cup of tea. The girls loved it though, and I supposed they're the target audience. In the car there were some candy in nose shenanigans, but I just let them do their thing. 
After the movie, we met Ben, Kara, and Evie at outback for dinner. I don't think they get a lot of kid's birthday parties there. Our group was so great. They all behaved even though we exiled them to a separate table from us.
I decided to confiscate all of the knives, as there was some excited table stabbing and mindless gesticulating-with-knives-in-hand when they first sat down. The server probably thought I was a little crazy. 


After dinner, we headed over to the bowling alley for a few games. They are pretty good bowlers, I have to say. 


Back at home, we lit up the panda cake. 
I love this picture, so much happy!
Everyone changed into pjs and excitedly gave Kiersten their gifts. 




I let them play in the hot tub for 20-25 minutes, and they played the most innocent game of truth or dare while they were out there. I sat a bit away and read a book, but could hear them daring each other to stand out of the hot tub for 10 seconds, put their face in the water for 5 seconds, and share secrets about having bratty little brothers, or having told a boy they liked him. It was super cute.
Before bed, Kiersten handed out her party favor for her friends, which was a stuffed panda that giggles. The girls seemed pretty happy with them. Kiersten made the gift bags herself out of scrapbook paper and ribbon. 


It was quite the surprise for all when Ben casually popped around the corner wearing Kiersten's panda head from Halloween. I had forgotten, and got a bit of a shock when I was loading the pictures onto my computer. He's a Mr. Funny-bear!
I think they all had a good time, and I know Kiersten had a fun birthday!

No comments: