Sunday, July 13, 2014

Yellowstone

We just got back from spending 2 weeks in Idaho and Utah. We did so many fun things, that I am just going to break it all up into separate posts. One of my favorite things we did was take the kids to Yellowstone. I haven't been for more than 10 years, and some things have really changed.
It is so beautiful

The kids had a hard time with the sulphur smell, but  still really liked seeing all of the thermal pools and geysers. Kara was really impressed by the boiling mud pots.
It was a lot of walking for the kids, but they were pretty good little troopers.
Kara for sure enjoyed it the most.


Ben had to give lots of shoulder rides, and I did my fair share of carrying girls on my hip.
We were stuck behind bison a couple of times. The first time, the girls were really excited about it. But they weren't too happy when we were stuck behind a huge herd blocking the road for about 20 minutes. It might have even been longer, but I fell asleep waiting for them to move, so I'm not totally sure.
Bison next to our car. They definitely weren't in a hurry to get anywhere.

I was a little nervous at the upper and lower falls. The trails were just so narrow. I only let Kara hike down with Ben to see the lower falls. I took the 2 little girls on the easier walk to the other waterfall.


Katie, Jason, and Lisa went with us. It was sure a fun group.

Kiersten was excited to see an elk. They sure are big compared to the little deer we're used to seeing at home.
Old Faithful
We waited about half an hour for it to erupt. The girls did get impatient, but I think it was worth it.

I couldn't stop taking pictures. I just love it there. I would like to stay there for a few days with the girls in a few years when they have a little more walking endurance. There is a lot we didn't get to see.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I forget how pretty it is there! Maybe we'll squeeze it in this summer :)