Friday, January 31, 2014

Kara bear party time!

Kara asked for a smurf birthday cake this year. She was very specific about how she would like each layer to look. She was actually able to help quite a bit with the decorating, and I think she really like that. I didn't want to make red frosting, so I bought a few cans of red cupcake icing, and had to sort of squirt it onto the cake and then smooth it out. When I started doing that, she exclaimed, "yay! a bloody entrails cake!" I have to say I was slightly shocked to hear her say that, but we had a good laugh once I recovered. I wasn't a fan of how the red frosting tasted, however. I thought it tasted like playdough smells. I was nervous to use frosting instead of fondant, but it's what she preferred, and it actually was easier than I expected to stack it and transport it. I had several backup plans in case something went wrong, but nothing did. It was one of the easier cakes I've made.      
I just bought some toys to put on the top so I wouldn't have to get too artistic. (I was particularly glad about it after the debacle of her cake on Friday) I tried to get a shot of the cake by itself, but she wouldn't stay of out the pictures. She kept saying, "okay, I'll stay out of this one" but then she'd jump in the picture right as I clicked.
She had her party at Olympiad gymnastics. It was a funny choice to me, as she isn't particularly good at gymnastics, but she had so much fun. She was limited in the amount of friends she could invite, but she really had a great time.



She is quite proud of the birthday trophy she "won"
All the other kids got medals. I feel slightly bad, that I sat in the other room chatting with the other moms, and didn't really see much of what they were doing in the gym.

She also had blue koolaid and the blue goodie bags she made earlier.
She says her wish already came true, but wont spill as to what it was.
Her BFF made her this big necklace. It was large enough for 3 girls to wear together!
She was such a sweetie, and really wants to get enrolled in gymnastics. I think she's pretty done with swimming lessons for now, so we'll have to see, I guess.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

That cake turned out super cute! And the other one was still much better than most kids get!! She looks so excited to be opening all of her gifts in the pictures! Hopefully since the little baker was a hit then the snow maker will be too :)