Monday, January 13, 2014

pink snowmen

My poor Kiersten had the flu last week. Luckily we were off for snow days the whole time she was sick. By the time school was back in session on Friday, she was feeling much better. I made her a fun headband to keep her head warm.
Kara sure got a lot of video game playing in last week. On thursday, I had high hopes that we'd have school the next day, so I decided I didn't want her spending her last day off playing 3DS. It was time to break out the mixer. 
We whipped up a batch of cupcakes and some frosting. I decided to make swiss meringue buttercream, which I haven't attempted in ages. It actually turned out, and the girls liked it and were saying it was just like whipped cream. But I still prefer my regular buttercream recipe, so I think I'll go back to that for next time. We made the frosting light pink, because, why not? Kara dipped a few in shredded coconut to look like snowballs. 
After that, I got out some candy and let them make snowman faces on the rest. 
Evie didn't quite know what to do with the orange candy noses...
Kiersten's were the most recognizable as snow people. 
Kara tried to make hers look like Mario and Luigi, and was taking a really long time. The other 2 started chanting, "Kara! Kara! Kara!" until she finally finished up. She was only slightly amused. 
The completed snowballs and snow people. 
I only decorated one, because I had a hard time getting them frosted by the time Evie and Kiersten were requesting their next cupcake. 
not the cleanest way to eat a cupcake!
She was still feeling a little yucky, but that didn't stop her from wanting to eat one.
I think Kara was the only one to actually eat the cake, instead of just licking off all the frosting. This is the headband I made for Kara, and I like it the best. I think it turned out the cutest. 
A few nights ago, I made some beef stew for dinner. I had meant to make bread to go along with it, but forgot, so Ben brought home some rolls that were perfect as bread bowls. (or as the girls called them, bread boats). I will have to do this again, as the girls just loved it.
I told Evie to make a "yummy face". We all had a good laugh at her interpretation. 
Later that night, the girls wanted mustaches, so I made these really quick from construction paper. they had a great time showing them off to Daddy and trying to speak with Italian accents. Kara was serving a time out while they were having their fun, and was not amused by it when time out was over. But I thought it was pretty fun, and so did they. 

1 comment:

bmills said...

love those kiddos!