Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Snowed in: how we spent our winter break

We have been snowed in all week. The girls were supposed to go back to school last thrusday, but since that didn't happen, they haven't been to school since December 19th. It looks like school will be back in session tomorrow, but Kiersten and Evie both have the flu, and wont be able to go anyway. But our fingers are crossed for Kara that school will not get cancelled again at the last minute. 
Luckily, since we just celebrated Christmas, the girls have had lots of new games and toys to keep them entertained. But there have still been days when they were just bored with everything and needed me to give them something different to do. Evie loved making window cling snowflakes. She helped me draw some designs on a piece of paper. 
Then we put a piece of wax paper over them, and she got to trace the lines with dimensional fabric paint. At first I was trying to guide her and keep the lines thin and dainty. But she kept squeezing too hard. But it turned out that the thicker ones worked out better in the end. So I should have just trusted her instincts. 
After they were dry, she had fun arranging and rearranging them on the windows. They stayed sticky for about 2 days. They might have lasted longer if she wasn't constantly moving them around, but she had so much fun with them, and that was their purpose. 
I had some little wooden tulips, so I decided to let the girls paint those one afternoon when there was nothing to do. There were 4 tulips, so Kara got to do 2. 
Evie's flower was done pretty fast, so I let her paint on paper to use up the rest of the paint on her palette.
Kiersten really wanted hers to be a daisy instead of a tulip, and did her best to make it look like one. She was so picky about what t shirt to put over her clothes. So she spent half the time picking out a t shirt, and changing, so she only got to paint the one flower. 
And I finally painted this big M, I've been meaning to get to. It looks really sparkly in real life. 

A lot of crocheting and cleaning have been happening around here this week. I made this hat and scarf for Kiersten. I also made a set for Kara, and headwrap/ ear warmers for all 3 girls. But Kiersten's is the only one I've taken a picture of, apparently. She's been asking me to make her a hat with black braids so she could look like me. It is impossible to convince my kids that my hair is dark brown. They are certain that it is black.
Here's a sneak peek at my guest room makeover. I painted a few days after Christmas. I still have a few little things to do in there, and then I'll get pictures of the room when it's all finished. 
Ben has also had the flu for several days. Today was his first day back at work. He still doesn't feel super great, but it's nice to be getting my husband back. Next year we are NOT skipping our flu shots again...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish we had received as much snow as you did, you're lucky. We never miss getting our flu shots. I hope everyone is feeling better now.

Nancy said...

Did you get some fancy stencil painter for Christmas? They look good!