Sunday, February 1, 2009

Car wreck! boo!

We took the girls to get pictures taken yesterday at Kiddie Kandids for Kara's 3 year picture and Kiersten's 9 month picture. (even though she's 10 months old now, oh well.) We also got a new family portrait done, it turned out alright. It could have been better, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to get a perfect picture, and then have the girls melting down for their individual ones. Kara got a little impatient, but it worked out pretty well. After pictures, we took the girls to Toys R Us to spend a giftcard they got for Christmas. Kara got a new game for her leapster, and Kiersten got a Mickey Mouse band toy. After that, we were wanting to go out to dinner for our anniversary, since our anniversary is actually today, and we wanted to stay home and watch the superbowl and just chill. On our way to the restaurant, we were driving through a green light, and there was a car stopped across the intersection waiting to turn left. Just as we entered the intersection, he decided to just try to make the turn really quickly. Ben hit the brakes, but we couldn't stop, so we hit him head on. Both girls started crying, but Kiersten went right back to sleep. Kara cried for several minutes, but she seemed to be okay. There happened to be a cop not far behind us, so she turned her lights on and pulled right up. The other driver was trying to blame Ben for the accident, and he kept saying that we didn't stop for him to turn. Luckily, there were witnesses that stopped and had the same story as us. So we didn't get ticketed, even though Ben did get another lecture about needing to get a Washington driver's license. That guy still didn't understand that he didn't have the right of way, and tried to argue his ticket, but they gave it to him anyway. All we care about is that he has insurance. Kara was pretty upset with the police and firemen that kept coming up to the car to talk to us. The tow truck finally got there, and we got to stand in the dirt waiting for the cab to arrive for us. The cab driver was really nice and friendly, but I didn't appreciate having to ride in a cigarette-smelling cab. We should know tomorrow or tuesday if the car is going to be fixed or totalled. Either way, we wont have to pay, but I hope it can be fixed. We just paid the buick off this summer, so I don't want to have to get another car at this point. We wont have a rental car until tuesday evening, so I will be stranded at home with the girls for the next 2 days. I guess that's not too bad, though. We're just glad that none of us were hurt. Our airbags didn't even deploy, so it's good we had our seatbelts on. Ben said he barely moved, but I slammed forward hard into the dash, and when the seatbelt locked, and slammed me back down in my seat, it knocked the wind out of me. So I much prefer that, to hitting the winddsheild that hard! Kara said she bonked her hand, and she complained about it a few times last night. Today she started screaming when Ben picked her up and she was grabbing her hand saying, "OWWIEEEE!" so we might need to take her in to get it looked at. Other than that and some whiplash soreness, we are all okay. I was quite upset when we got home last night, but lucky for me, I have Ben,who is very objective, and he always helps me look at things the right way. None of us were hurt badly, and we don't have to pay for any of the repairs, or the rental car. We have each other, and our 2 sweet, happy, healthy girls. and a nice house to live in and Ben has a good job, so I can't be too upset that we are sore and without an extra car for a few days.

4 comments:

Josh and Jackie said...

oh Becky and Ben that is horrible. You two have the worst luck when it comes to cars accidents(Or robberies). I'm so sorry. You are very lucky that Ben helps you to see the positives though. It would be hard for me to be positive in that situation especially since you've already been in a few of those. I'm glad you're all safe and doing ok. lovies, jackie

Ben and Becky said...

ya, I am lucky. He just had to smooth things over with the rental car company tonight because I got so furious with them. They should not be rude to their customers and then hang up when you call them out on it! anyway, I need to let it go. Good thing Ben is around!

Vicky Van Sickle said...

I am so glad tht no one was injured. Becky, Did you get bruises from the seatbeat? How is Kara's hand now? Ben loved that car, and we never did see if he could be me in my Mazda 6.

Ben and Becky said...

oh, the grand prix is fine, it's the buick that got wrecked.