Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Snowy Wednesday

The kids are out of school for Thanksgiving break. They were excited to get a little snow today.
We decided to stay in and do some crafts together. The girls like to paint these little wooden shapes. So I'm always keeping an eye out for those to be on clearance for a few cents. Even the ones that seem weird are fun for them.  
We also used some glass jars to make snowman luminaries. Kiersten worked really hard on hers. She didn't have time to paint any of the wooden shapes, but was happy with the details she did on her jar. 
I also let the girls make some little pilgrim hats. Now I just need to think of something to put in them tomorrow. Maybe I could skewer a few olives.
I was warning the girls to let me do the cutting so they wouldn't hurt themselves, and then promptly sliced my finger open. It was a bleeder.
They turned out cute. Crayons were too short to place in there, but they would work okay for markers or pencils. Kara made the green one, Kiersten made the red one, and Evie(I) made the purple one.  
The snowmen turned out really cute. From left to right, they were made by, Evie, Me, Kiersten, and Kara. After the painted faces dried, we painted the glass with tacky glue and then rolled them in white glitter. Evie rolled hers in red glitter, because she said it was a baby snowman wearing a parka.
They were excited to set them out on the front porch.
I have been wanting to make a Christmas card holder for years. I decided it was finally time. I thought I had an unpainted "believe" decoration, but all I could find that would be large enough was a heart. So I tried to turn that into a reindeer. Do not google "reindeer heart". You've been warned. I couldn't find any ideas online, so I just thought up my own design. Now that it's done, of course I can think of several better ideas, but oh well, it's done. Ben said it looks like it has bloody entrails hanging down. But the cards have to go somewhere.  I just stapled Christmas ribbon to the back with my regular stapler.
The girls liked him, but were sad that he has no mouth.
We also painted some soup cans for a game I want to play with my daisy scouts next week. But they aren't quite finished, so I didn't take a picture. Also, I need to use a couple more cans so I'll have enough for the game.
We decided to make a Thanksgiving snack. I asked Evie to open some Hershey's kisses, and had to laugh when I turned around and saw her like this. 
We made some royal icing to stick them onto Nilla wafers.
After they set up, we attached a regular chocolate chip on top for the stem. I purposely posted this picture, just to show off Kara's chocolate mouth.
And we have some little acorn treats. I saw pictures of these with either a smaller cookie, or larger kiss. They looked better than this, but the girls think they are great, and that's really the point.
Ben has been kinda crafty lately too. A few weeks ago he made me this magnet/cork board. I'm glad to have a spot to put up all the magnets we have bought on vacations. I stopped putting them on the refrigerator because our Bahamas one kept falling and breaking. Right now it's in 7 pieces awaiting superglue.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the magnet/cork board. And it looks like you've been having fun doing all those crafts with the girls.