Wednesday, February 6, 2013

On and around the Disney Dream

So I said I'd be finishing our vacation update "tomorrow", but we were all sick, so tomorrow got postponed a few days...
We had SO much fun on the cruise. When Ben and I took a cruise for our honeymoon 10 years ago, it took about 4 1/2 hours just to board the ship. I was expecting a long morning, and was pleasantly surprised when it took us about 10 minutes instead. We got straight on, and Kara was excited to find a cake and birthday decorations in her room. Evie was ready to dive right into that cake, but we made her wait til after lunch, as we were starving.
We got 2 adjoining staterooms, and the girls thought that was pretty special to be in their own space. Kara made sure all of her birthday decorations made it home in our luggage. 
The kids loved the portholes that had seats in them. of course, this one has a lovely view of the side of a lifeboat. 
Kara and Kiersten absolutely loved the oceaneers club. It was really nice to be able to drop them off there to entertain themselves. We had wave phones they could call us on when they wanted to be picked up. Kiersten thought that was pretty cool to stay for a little while, and then demand to be picked up. 2 of the nights we were there, I talked Kiersten into staying there until we came to get her, instead of calling us so that we could have a date. So that was nice to see a show without any kids. (even if it was kind of a show for kids...) and to explore the adult only areas of the ship. 
Kara wanted to spend all of her time in the oceaneers club. 




Kara really thought the ship was pretty fancy. Kiersten was quite impressed too. 


And I was surprised with these lovely anniversary flowers in our room. I was sad not to be able to take them with me off the ship.
Kara was so excited that she had a cake!
waiting for the elevator. They are really competitive about getting in first/ getting to push the button. 
Meeting princess Minnie. there were lots of characters on board, but some of them, the girls didn't care as much, since they'd already met at Disneyworld. The lines were way shorter than in the park, though. 
When I was a kid, I always saw commercials for Disneyland with these Micky shaped Ice cream bars, and desperately wanted one. When my family finally went, I didn't get to have one, and felt pretty sorry for myself. So it was pretty exciting for me when Kara ordered one for dessert, and swapped with me. In return, she got to have a cookies and cream sundae. I don't know why I've never gotten one at Disneyland. I always intend to, but then I get so focused on the kids, and before I know it, the trip is over. So I'm glad this dream was finally realized. Though, they did cover it in chocolate syrup and sprinkles, which made it hard for me to finish, not being the hugest chocolate fan.

One night there was a pirate party after dinner. We left Evie in the nursery, and Ben and the girls went up to the deck party, while I tracked down a lost backpack. 

The girls loved the fireworks show later that night. They had to dance along to the music. 
Evie loved the Nemo splash area. Kara liked it too, but Kiersten thought it was too babyish, even though there were kids several years older than her enjoying it. 





Kiersten really liked the Mickey slide. 
We didn't get any good pictures in the large pool area, but it was tons of fun. Kiersten, Evie and I watched Emperor's New Groove on the big screen, and swam around in the Donald Duck pool, while Ben and Kara were out snorkeling. And the Aqua duck water slide was pretty fun. Kara and Ben thought it wasn't thrilling enough, but Kiersten and I sure enjoyed riding it. 

The girls really liked seeing the towel animals each night when we came into our staterooms. 
Kiersten and Evie got to share the big bed, and Kara was on the pull out couch bed. Our room steward was really great. The girls felt so pampered and special, and it was SUCH a nice change from being in our small hotel room in Disneyworld, sharing 2 full beds, to having a comfy place for everyone to sleep.
 One of the restaurants we ate at had interactive screens with Crush the turtle asking questions, and having conversations with the kids. It was their favorite restaurant. I will say that it was hard for Evie to sit through 2 hours and 3 courses for dinner. I just wished we could speed things along. If we went again, I'd have her in the nursery during dinner, and then take her up to the buffet before or after. The girls really did like getting dessert every night.


No comments: