Friday, September 25, 2015

Chiefs Home opener

We went to Kansas City last Thursday for the Chiefs home opener. The girls always enjoy walking around through the tailgating and pre-game area. We got to meet Warpaint, the horse that runs on the field after points scored, and his rider, Susie. We also got autographed pictures of them. Evie inexplicably refused to appear in this picture. 
Kara did not want to get her face painted. So while I was waiting in line with the other 2 for that, She played some games, and won bacon and bacon themed sunglasses. 
Ben has lost so much weight that his beloved Joe Montana jersey has gotten pretty baggy. All 3 girls were able to get in there with him. 
I told the girls to pick something small to get painted on their faces, since they had to go to school the next day. So of course, they both ended up with  half their face covered. Kiersten did go to school the next day with some yellow around her eye, and glitter in her brows. 
We have great seats this year, right by the tunnel where the players run out onto the field. I did underestimate how hot it would be when the fire shoots up. I also won't be forgetting the ear plugs again. My ears were ringing for 2 days after the game, and I spent a good amount of time trying to help Evie and Kiersten cover their ears. I guess that's the price you pay for having the loudest stadium in the NFL. But I honestly feel like this game was louder than the game where the record was set. 
We may have arrived a bit on the early side. Kiersten wanted to stand by the tunnel to see if she could high five her favorite player, Dustin Colquitt. But she got scared when she was surrounded by a bunch of adult Broncos fans, and she came reluctantly back to her seat. She noticed he was already on the field warming up, and I guess she didn't realize that he would go back in, and then run out with the team. 
It was as perfect as a day can be for watching football. 
Evie was pretty tired by half time. Ben had to wake her several times. I'd rather have just let her sleep. It's quite the talent to be able to sleep through all that screaming and feet stomping. They were able to sleep in the car for the entire ride home, which was good since we didn't get home til about 3AM. They were not happy about getting up for school the next day, so we certainly learned our lesson about thursday night games. Probably not going to happen again any time soon. 
Kiersten is our biggest Chiefs fan. She is so sweet and sincere in her excitement and love for the team and players. She is also very very sad when they lose to the stupid donkeys. She had a rough time swallowing that last minute, heart breaking loss. Ben was fairly upset as well. I just thought about Grandma Howard giggling at him from heaven. 

1 comment:

Vicky Van Sickle said...

My Mom would of LOVED that game. It was a good one. Next time the Chiefs play the Broncos, I should go with you.