Thursday, August 8, 2013

Haircut

On friday morning I was getting the girls ready to go back to school shopping. I wanted to get it all done in one day to utilize the Missouri tax free weekend, and thought Friday would be the least crazy. So I planned for the entire day to be out getting all the shopping done. When I went into Karalee's bathroom to do her hair, I found that she had cut off the entire front of her hair! It was still long in the back, but you can't see it in the picture. 
I gasped, turned and walked out of the bathroom, and went to my room. I had to count to 130 before I felt ready to go back down the hall. I asked her as calmly as possible what had happened. She said she decided to cut herself some bangs the night before. she didn't want to wake us up, because she thought we might be mad she had taken scizzors into her room. So she just kept cutting it shorter and shorter, and ended up with this. She tried to act all innocent, but I know she knew she was doing something wrong, because she hid the hair and scizzors under her dresser. I explained to her that Daddy and I don't even cut our own hair, and it's really important to get it done by someone who knows what they're doing. I really thought she was past the stage of not being trusted around sharp things, but I guess not :(
you can see in some spots she cut it all the way to the scalp! I called Ben freaking out, and did not know how we could possibly fix it. ben thought we would have to shave her entire head and let it all grow back out from there. (did I mention school starts in ONE week????)
So I threw a hat on her, and forgot about it as much as possible so we could have a fun day shopping. A few people did comment on her wearing a hat on such a warm day... But we did end up having a pretty fun day back to school shopping, and I had time to calm down about it. I'm glad I didn't impulsively take her in to get it all shaved off, which was a thought that occurred to me. 
Now Kiersten is extra proud of her beautiful long hair. She and Evie have both been talking about how naughty it is to cut your own hair. So hopefully they've learned from Kara's example and will never do the same thing.
Evie was really proud to be wearing her new dress. She bought this with birthday money from Papa and Grams. She said she needed to be dressed up special to go shopping. 
I told Ben if he took her to get her head shaved I would never forgive him. so he sent me to the salon instead, because he truly felt that was the only solution. I asked them about a pixie cut, but it wouldn't be able to hide the super short spots that are cut to the scalp, so the hairdresser didn't think that was a good idea. We finally decided on pulling the long part in back forward, and going for a side bang. it still looks kinda weird in front, and the back looks funny too with the hair being brushed all forward like that, but it's just hair... it will grow back... and she actually seems to kind of like it short. We had to get the length cut pretty short too, because there were several random spots throughout that she had just chopped right off. 
So we bought her every wide headband we could get our hands on, and this will be her signature look for at least the next few months. I'm not sure how long it will take to grow, but I'm considering when the front super short part grows out enough, just getting a pixie cut, and let it all grow out from there. I think she has a girly enough face to pull it off, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. hats aren't allowed at school, but I'm sure this fall/winter she'll be in hats quite a bit when she's not at school. just for a change from all the headbands. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At least she is still smiling- which is what makes her truely beautiful. It is sad about her beautiful hair, it's too bad it didn't happen when school first got out (if it had to happen)