Wednesday, May 1, 2013

school carnival and treat making

Kara's school carnival was on friday. Since Ben's basketball group had playoffs that night, I took the girls by myself. It was raining at first, but just a sprinkle. It didn't deter the girls from wanting to get sno-cones the second we got there. 
Kara didn't want to wait in line for the "tiger" bounce house, so she went and got right into the plain one, while I waited with Kiersten and Evie, who insisted on waiting for the tiger one for 15 minutes. 
After waiting in line, Kiersten finally made it in, and jumped for less than 3 minutes before she got out and said she was done. Kara was glad to take her place for the remaining 7 minutes of jump time. 
Evie was so excited when she saw the rides, but was disappointed to discover they wouldn't let her ride any of them. :( She would have done fine on them, but rules are rules...
Kiersten and Evie both won light up rings, but Evie's quit working after less than a minute, and Kiersten immediately gave hers to her, and took the defective one. She's definitely a sweetie. 
I bought 66 tickets, and told each girl they could use them for whatever they wanted. I worried they'd use them all on snacks, but they actually did a pretty good job with them, and were able to play every game at least once, and still get a few snacks each. It may have helped that Evie couldn't go on the rides, and that saved a few tickets.


Kara and Kiersten did great at knocking down the tiger teeth. Evie fully expected to be able to do as well as them. So she got quite frustrated when she couldn't even throw the bean bag far enough. She ran up and smashed all the teeth down in one blow with her fist instead, and then begged for a prize.


Kiersten was thrilled to win a plastic pig in the stuffed animal race. But when she discovered that it was a "pooping" pig, she was a bit disturbed. She got over it pretty fast, and is now very proud to show everyone how the pig can poop. 
Kara really wanted to enter the drawing for the raffle baskets. So I bought 5 tickets, and let each girl put one in the basket they wanted to win. Kiersten and Evie both went for the Hello Kitty basket. Kara put hers in the arts and crafts basket, and I put the last 2 in the game night basket with Ben and my names on them. Kara was surprised that she won a basket. It was actually 2 baskets, because so much stuff had been donated. Each class had a theme for parents to send in donations for the baskets, and she won the basket that her class had put together. I felt silly that I had bought glitter glue, window markers, and a few other things, thinking they would be fun, but I wouldn't want my kids to have them. Ha! So now we are all set with tons of art projects to do this summer. She won all kinds of paint, markers, crayons, coloring books, craft books, bracelet kits, play dough, modeling clay, paint brushes, chalk, sun catchers, a glue gun, gift cards to Michales, JoAnn, the Painted Zebra, and more stuff, I can't even remember it all. We had parked a few blocks away, and it was not so pleasant for me to carry her winnings back to the car. But she was so excited that it was okay. She kept saying, "this is ridiculous!", "I can't believe this happened", and "mom, can you believe I actually won?" In the car on the way home, she announced, "well, I just pinched myself, and this is NOT a dream!"
One day last week, I let the girls make Teddy Gram/snickers race cars. they just shoved a teddy gram onto a fun size snickers, then used frosting to attach 4 m&m's for the wheels. 
It was easy and everyone was able to do it by themselves. 
Kiersten used a 5th m&m for the steering wheel.

We also finally got around to making sugar cookie Easter baskets. I had all the supplies, and meant to do this when Jackie was here, but we never got around to doing it. I just let them roll sugar cookie dough in colored sprinkles, put the rolls in a muffin tin, and pressed in the center to make a well, and baked them.
Then the girls filled them with frosting and green coconut to look like grass, and put jelly beans to look like eggs. 
I bought some candy cane basket handles, but didn't want to buy more than one package, so we only had 6 with handles. I had originally bought some twizzlers for the rest of the handles, but a package of twizzlers doesn't exactly last for 2 weeks with me around. 
This was another easy treat for Evie to help with. She gets frustrated when we do things she can't do too. 
They turned out cute, but I didn't think they were that easy to eat, and get a huge mouthful of frosting. also, the coconut got everywhere when the kids ate them,
But oh well, at least they had fun, right?

3 comments:

bmills said...

gotta love those busy girls!

Nancy said...

Always crafts going on at your house!!! I think I would be super excited too if I won 2 giant baskets like that, yay Kara!

Unknown said...

Those baskets were so cute. You find the neatest things to make with your girls. Evie seems to want to be grown up already. And t
hose gift baskets were humongous! Kara was lucky.