Tuesday, April 23, 2013

More room makeovers!

I haven't gotten around to posting the finished pictures of my latest projects. So here's a bunch at once. 
We did the second guest room/craft room before Christmas. I did the painting, and we got a full size bed for when we have multiple guests at once. I didn't think that would be very often, but we've actually needed the second guest room several times now, so I'm glad Ben talked me into giving up part of my craft area. 
This shot shows my bow making/scrapbooking/sewing table. I thought I'd miss having several different tables for the different things, but it hasn't been any trouble at all now that I have my custom closet down there to keep organized. It still needs some accessorizing, but it's definitely a happier place to be now that it's not a white, boring jail cell. 
I put up the framed cork board to hold my bows that are currently for sale in my etsy shop. I just thumb tacked pieces of ribbon to the board so I can clip the bows right on. 
Ben used curtain rods and chain to make this ribbon holder for me. It's so nice to have it all at arm's reach when I'm creating, and nice to be able to see exactly what I have. Though I still dream of a true sewing table, with a surger, this setup actually worked out pretty well for me when I was making the girls's princess dresses.
I already posted pictures when I got the closets put in, but here's a picture with it all filled up. 
I intentionally left the area to the right with a rod for guests to hang their clothes, but as you can see, it quickly got filled up too. 
about 2-3 weeks ago, I painted inside the basement closet that we use for the kids play area. That wood is where a shelf used to be that Ben removed so they can play in there more easily. there is still a taller shelf above for storage. I wish I had a before picture to compare, but o well. The flowers and bees are fathead stickers that the girls helped put up. 


Ben put up a wire shelf and rod, so the girls play clothes can all be hung and more easily accessible. I thought it'd create a huge mess, but it's less of a mess now that they don't have to dig through a bin to find what they want. 
He also hung a light below the higher shelf, and they do actually spend a lot of time playing in here. They also drag the toys out so they can play in the family room, but it has stayed pretty organized so far, and I think it's easier for them to clean up now they can walk around in there instead of ducking and crawling. 
Evie's room finally got painted about 5 weeks ago. I was determined not to paint another pink room, but she was so determined to have a pink room like Kiersten. So we finally decided on a much lighter pink, and only did it 2/3 on the wall. Then I picked 2 shades of brown I liked, and used those along the bottom third of the wall. The butterflies are also fatheads, and so far she hasn't peeled a single one off, though I'm sure it's bound to happen eventually. Every time she goes in there, she mentions the butterflies, and how they can't get away. 

another view to show the stripes a bit better. Of course all the stripes that I got perfectly straight with no bleeding, ended up behind furniture, and the spots I messed up on were out in the open, and had to be touched up. I'm sure it's more noticeable to me than anyone else, though. 
She couldn't be more proud of her room, and loves showing it off to anyone who comes over. I'm glad I resisted the urge to do a Minnie Mouse room, since who knows how long she'll keep loving Minnie? Kiersten loved Wow Wow Wubbzy at that age, and now never mentions him, or watches the show anymore. Hopefully it'll be a few years before I'm having to repaint any of their rooms. 

3 comments:

Vicky Van Sickle said...

I LOVE all the changes you've made! You are so creative.

Josh and Jackie said...

Love it all and glad I got to see it all in person..

Unknown said...

Looks super awesome! You are amazing.
love you guys! :-)