Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Have you ever hoped your kid had the flu?

On Sunday night, Kara started throwing up right before bed. I got it all cleaned up in the bathroom and her bedroom, and Ben took her in to sleep by him on the guest bed. I gave her some pedialyte, and she immediately threw that up too. She kept crying and begging for a drink, but she was throwing up even a little sip of water. I got the sheets changed on the guest bed, and we finally got both girls to sleep. as soon as I fell asleep, Ben came and woke me up saying that she was throwing up again. This continued about every hour until 2 am. Ben did not wake up that time, I just heard her in the bathroom crying. So I went in there, and she had been throwing up more. So I finally brought her in to sleep by me. She kept it up until about 4:30 and finally fell asleep. After Ben left for work in the morning, I was up with Kiersten, and Kara got a few hours sleep. I called the pediatrician's office, and they said they could get her in by 1:30. then they called me back and pushed it back to 2:00 because of lots of walk-ins. then they called AGAIN to change me to 4:00. Kara was still not holding anything down, so I didn't want to wait that long. I called back to see how long I would wait if I just took her to the urgent care clinic. (same office, same doctors, just different rooms reserved for urgent care) she told me they only had one patient in the urgent care right then, so to come now. I got both girls ready and went straight there, only to be told we had to wait an hour. So we waited and waited and everyone was getting called back but us. I kept asking how much longer, and they kept saying they didn't know and to go sit back down. They kept calling for Karla Miller and there was no one there responding. I asked if they meant Karalee Miller, and the nurse angrily told me no. Finally, I had been waiting over 2 hours, and I demanded the receptionist tell me how many people were still ahead of us. she went to check and said that we had no chart because the girl who checked us in typed in Karla Miller instead! They had all been present when I had asked if they didn't mean Karalee, and I am ashamed to admit I threw a tiny fit at that point. I even implied that the girl who checked us in was stupid. So now I feel badly about that, but I was really frustrated. Kiersten was hungry and bored, and Kara was sick. By the time we finally got called back, she was melting down and would not cooperate with the nurses or the doctor. But I let them deal with it because it seemed like their own fault! she didn't have any flu symptoms other than vomiting, and no temp. she tested negative for strep, so the doctor was a bit perplexed. she was dehydrated and constipated, but he told me not to increase her miralax because if it does turn out she has the flu, she will get painful diahrea. He thinks she might have a bladder infection, which is uncommon for her age, but he said her symptoms are pointing to that. He is the same Dr. that dealt with her rectal prolapse last year, and had her tested for CF, so he knows her history pretty well. given that she's been on the miralax and a high fiber diet for a year, and still has problems, he wants to test her for childhood diabetes. there were other reasons, but he did say it is not too likely, but a possibility we need to rule out. She was crying and begging to go home by that point, and we couldn't get her to pee in the cup. So the Dr. finally sent us home with a kit to collect her pee and bring it back the next day. So all last night and today I tried to get her to do it. This was not easy, because she hasn't wanted to use the potty for the past few days. she cries and says she can't or doesn't want to. I eventually got her to do it aroud noon today. So we rushed it over to the pediatrician's office (they wanted it as fresh as possible). I thought I would just be dropping it off, but they had me wait there for 45 minutes just to have the nurse come out and tell me that they will be sending it to the lab and call me when they get the results. a few days for the bladder infection results, and about a week on the prelim. diabetes test. so now we just get to wait. I am really hoping that it is just the flu and this was all a waste of time, but I am glad that he is really trying to figure out what's causing her problems, even if I don't like thinking about all the possibilities. she is feeling better today, and no more puking. the only issue, is she is still hesitant to go potty in the toilet. I really think (and hope) that it's just her defiant personality and not a serious medical condition.

3 comments:

Emily said...

That doctor's visit sounds awful! I am sorry. I sure hope Kara is okay, too!

Josh and Jackie said...

Wow Becky you have to deal with a ton right now, I'm sorry. That would be really scary as a parent. All of this reminds me of those shows on discovery health, "Mystery Diagnosis" I just hope they can figure out what all of her symptoms mean soon. We'll keep you and Kara in our prayers this coming week. Love you all and miss you.

VicandNanc said...

I hope it is her being defiant too! I am sad that she was so sick all night though :(