Thursday, January 17, 2013

pretty, prancing, pink and purple princesses

I bought fabric to make princess dresses for the girls for Christmas this year, with the intention of them having them for our Disneyworld trip. But December was so busy, and I didn't get them done in time for Christmas. I still wanted to make them before our trip, I finally got it done last week. ben said, "they wont get recognized as Disney princesses". but, I thought I'd rather they be their own princess, instead of stealing the identity of the famous ones. He's still not quite convinced, though. I actually used patterns that were clearly ripping off the Disney princesses, but I just used pink and purple instead of yellow and blue, because I thought the girls would like that better. And I wanted to add some sparkly trim that I knew they'd love. 
Kiersten's dress is my favorite, but it was a pain in the butt to make, and definitely took the longest. The other girls only took a few hours, but Kiersten's took me 2 days to get it right. This was the pattern for Belle's dress. 
Karalee's dress was supposed to look like cinderella's, but in the colors I used, it kind of reminds me more of princess peach. I know it's super wrinkly, but I figured it'll just get all wrinkled in the suitcase anyway, so hopefully there will be an iron in our hotel :)  This was the last one I made, and I finally realized I was unnecessarily darting the lining on all of the dresses. That's part of the reason I got hers done so fast. I eliminated at least 6 extra steps. Though I did start sewing her zipper on inside out, but luckily caught my mistake pretty fast. 
Evie is so happy about her dress. It's supposed to look like Snow White's. She tried it on, and then I had a real fight to get her to take it off. I had to pull out her Minnie Mouse costume from Halloween to get her to change. I can't wait to see her traipsing around in it when we're at Disneyworld. Of course right now I have a fresh hatred for organza, zippers, darts, and hand sewing trim, but I'm glad for them to have something I made for them, even if it might have been easier and not much more pricey to just buy the premade ones.
The last picture is unrelated. Yesterday was pajama day at school, and Evie wanted to keep hers on when we went to the gym last night. The whole drive home, she kept saying she wanted to help me make dinner. After I had everything out, and was ready to start, I called her in, but she didn't come. I looked around for a few minutes, before I found her passed out under this barstool. (where she usually sits when she helps cook). I felt so badly that I took too long getting everything out and ready that she fell asleep there! But she did look pretty cute. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The dresses are cute. I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of the girls in them. Nice work :)

VicandNanc said...

You are so talented! I think I like Evie's the best, but they are all adorable. They are lucky girls!

Unknown said...

I can hardly wait to see pictures of your fun vacation!

bmills said...

I also can hardly wait to see pictures